If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.California.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Ignoring Laws

Labels: ,

Many people are familiar with Ayn Rand's book, Atlas Shrugged.  I've mentioned to many people that if they haven't read it, they need to do it now.  Aside from the technology mentioned in the book, it could be set in modern-day America.  The actions of the government are eerily similar to the actions of our current federal and state governments.

In the book, there is a passage that recently resonated with me -

There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.
An acquaintence of mine told me he recently purchased a belt buckle knife.  He has to travel through some pretty rough areas when going to and from work, and he wanted some protection.

I told him that he is breaking the law.  It is illegal in California to have a belt buckle knife.

Really.  Go here and scroll to page 10 to see for yourself.   It's part of California's firearm laws.

I'm sure there were some really, really good reasons to pass this law.  My guess is a police officer, public official or little kid was stabbed by a belt buckle knife.  In their infinite wisdom, our legislators determined that all stabbings would come to an end just as soon as belt buckle knives were banned.

As with most similar laws, logic is not applied.  Criminals, being criminals, won't follow the law.  Breaking laws is their gig.  This law only affects law-abiding citizens.

In this case, as with most of our firearm laws, takes a means of self-defense out of the hands of good, decent people.  Ironically, if you were to have a belt knife and used it to save your life, or the life of another person, YOU would be arrested.

How twisted is that?

So, my acquaintance, like many other Californians, will break the law.  The old saying, "I'd rather be tried by twelve than be buried by six" fits the bill here.  He'd rather take his chances with a jury than to face the certainty of death.

We have AB 962 which, starting in February of next year, will require us to provide a thumbprint to buy ammunition.  That's not going to happen with me.  I'll simply take a road trip to Nevada and buy my ammo there.  The real criminals will simply do the same thing.

Californians will be no safer for this law.  Taxes on those sales and income taxes for the employees selling the ammo will now go elsewhere.  Great plan, California.

When I was in college, I met people that made their own distilled spirits.  That's also illegal in these United States.  The distillers paid taxes on the sugar, water and propane.  They paid taxes on the brew pots and the copper used to build their stills.

How can a government tell a person that they can't take raw materials to make a product they can buy in the supermarket?

Well, these distillers weren't listening.

During the Great Depression, the government required Americans to turn in their gold in exchange for Federal Reserve notes.  Based upon the number of pre-1933 gold coins that are still available, many Americans ignored the law.  They could have been fined $10,000 (a HUGE amount in 1933) or sent to prison for 10 years, or both.
---

I've come to a place in my life where I choose to ignore many laws.  If it is something I want to do, buy, make or protect, I'll do it.  As long as I'm not infringing upon the rights of another person while I'm "pursuing happiness," the government has no right to restrict my actions.

Of course, I could end up paying for my actions by fines or loss of freedom.  I will tell you, though, if it comes to that, I will exercise my right to a jury trial.  Every single time.

I may be Tilting At Windmills, but so be it.  Unless we exercise our rights to live freely, those rights will slowly die.  I choose to live freely while I still can.
---

Chief Instructor can be followed at Accept The Challenge.


------------------------------------------ Join the APN Forum at www.AmericanPreppersNetwork.net Visit the California Forum at www.CaliforniaPreppersNetwork.net

5 comments:
gravatar
Kymber said...
April 24, 2010 at 5:26 PM  

great post and discussion...i especially liked the reference to Cervantes!

gravatar
Help U Prep said...
April 25, 2010 at 9:52 AM  

I am going through the book again and I am getting even more out of it just with what has been happening in our country over the past year. I highly recomment getting it on tape or CD so you can work on preps etc while listening.
HUP

gravatar
Chief Instructor said...
April 26, 2010 at 7:22 AM  

Kymber, thanks. Sometimes that's how I feel. It seems pretty futile at times.

HUP, Atlas Shrugged is indeed a great book. I read it for the first time last year and was simply blown away. I've taken the book and given it away, with the understanding that each person do the same - keep passing the book along to people that might be influenced by it.

It's with Person 4 now!

gravatar
Karen said...
April 26, 2010 at 11:14 PM  

As a hobby dog breeder, I am being forced by my County Government to become a 'business'. This means lots of $$ to them and loss of freedom for me in the form of 'inspections' of my home. I'd risk it if it were just fines. However, the punishment is seizure and slaughter of my dogs. I can't risk that, so am having to go along with it. I do plan on making sure the voters in my town know about our RINO Supervisor when he comes up for re-election.

gravatar
Chief Instructor said...
April 27, 2010 at 10:40 AM  

Isn't that just great?! If you ignore and resist this "law", eventually, people with guns will arrive at your home. If you attempt to defend your property from being seized and destroyed, you run the risk of being shot and killed.

Statists will call this statement "alarmist" but I challenge anyone to tell me how this will turn out differently if you choose not to capitulate.

Post a Comment


Get Free Templates Here
Template Modifications By Tom: American Preppers Network