If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.California.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


What is your backup plan for food and water?

Labels:

When I returned from Afghanistan and Iraq, I began to take a real serious look at the preps we have and what we actually need. The first thing I did was move all the food out of the garage and into the guest room. (Yes, our children are slowly leaving the house and we have converted one of the rooms into a guest room.) I installed additional shelving, loaded the shelves with what we have, took a step back and really took a long hard look to see if my wife, her kids, and family members could live off the food stuff until I got home (I may go back to AFG and IQ for some extra $$$). I decided that although we do have a lot of food, we just can't live off this stuff. It's supplimental - only to used while the crops grow, or we can can't snare jack rabbits, or catch phesants. (Double click on the pictures for a better view)











This may look like alot, but it's really not. In the containers is (2) rice, (2) flour (1 all purpose and 1 bread flour), and (1) peanut butter, Jelly, and honey.












Hanging baskets with tomato, peppers, sweat asian peas, basil, rosemary, and flowers to bring in the bees.































Ripping out the grass and flowers and planting veggies!































55 Gallon container to catch the drip from the air conditioning unit. Its used to water the veggies.












Water in the pool...well, of course it will be used for flushing. I am actually designing a multiple filtration system so that it can be used for bathing, watering the veggies, and drinking.


I know... I know.... drinking pool water is not good. However, I purchased a test kit and when I am finished designing the filtration system I will take samples and send them in to a testing facility to see how pure it it. Yes, I will take pictures and post them.

What is your backup plan?

Come visit me at Prepare to Survive in California!

4 comments:
gravatar
matthiasj said...
August 13, 2009 at 2:26 PM  

You're food storage looks great! It's coming along. Great work CA!

matthiasj
Kentucky Preppers Network

gravatar
William Lankes said...
August 13, 2009 at 4:39 PM  

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it. I like the KPN info too!

gravatar
Arlyn said...
August 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM  

I noticed that you have plastic cases of bottled water. What is your strategy in having that versus larger, sturdier jugs? I keep my water in 6 gallon camping jugs in the cars and a big 55 gallon water drum in the back yard.

Oh, one other thing, I almost forgot. Most people don't think about it, but what happens if the big quake hits and your home collapses? You cannot get your supplies, that's what. So keep your stored items separate from the house in an area where nothing heavy can collapse on them.

gravatar
Wendy said...
August 27, 2009 at 6:57 AM  

Good info! I like that you've incorporated your pool into your plan. So many people in the suburbs have these inground pools they don't know what to do with, and I just keep thinking of all of that water that's so useful. My parents have a backyard pool that's just a mosquito farm, and I keep thinking they should toss in a couple of fish and some aquatic plants ;). Or get some ducks, who love mosquito larvae. The ducks would, at least, give them eggs.

It's good that you've got a plan that includes growing some stuff and some hunting, too. You might also, consider getting a couple of books on wild edibles in your area. We were pleasantly surprised to learn how many "weeds" are actually food for humans that are growing wild and prolifically within walking distance of my house.

Post a Comment


Get Free Templates Here
Template Modifications By Tom: American Preppers Network