If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.California.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Use toilet paper rolls to start your garden

Labels:

Don't go to the garden supply store to buy biodegradable starting pots for seedlings. Just use the cardboard tubes from paper towels and toilet paper. Use scissors to cut each toilet paper tube into two pots, or each paper towel tube into four. Fill a tray with the cut cylinders packed against each other so they won't tip when you water the seedlings. This will also prevent them from drying out too quickly. Now fill each pot with seed-starting mix, gently pack it down, and sow your seeds. When you plant the seedlings, make sure to break down the side of the roll and make sure all the cardboard is completely buried.

I used to use plastic cups with holes punched in the bottom, but now I will be using the toilet paper roll method.

For more creative ideas, visit me at Prepare to Survive in California!

2 comments:
gravatar
Gard'n Judy said...
August 15, 2009 at 11:35 AM  

This is a good idea! I would like to add an easy way to start veggies outdoors in the winter, for early spring planting---http://wintersown.org/wseo1/index.html. This website is amazing and I will be sowing my early spring seeds this way, this winter. Once the seedlings are up, you can transfer them to the TP roll pots.

gravatar
MT_serval said...
August 17, 2009 at 10:38 AM  

Great idea. I will be using this method to start my seeds for next Spring. Biodegradable, and reduces our waste stream. What's not to like! I've sent a link for your site to my friends in the North State (California)

Serval

Montana Preppers Network

Post a Comment


Get Free Templates Here
Template Modifications By Tom: American Preppers Network