If you've landed on this blog by mistake, please follow this link:


www.California.PreppersNetwork.com

Please update your bookmarks and the links on your sites.



Join our forum at:


Bugging out

First off I want to thank everyone for re-assuring me that this site does have some traffic! I should have thought it out a tad more as I don’t always leave comments at the blog I follow, however, since to me this site has been not updated in so long, I felt maybe it got deleted from your folders as I have done with a few.
Anyway on with the new!
Those of us that call California our home are in unique situations as to where we live. What might work for me, on the cen cal coast, may not work for someone living behind the orange curtain or someone in Del Rey won’t work for some in Redding or Jackson, Santa Cruz or the friggin desert! We do have one thing in common, and that is the ability to drive! We Californians drive like no one else. Most of us were driving way before the legal age and are, frankly damn good at it. Some of the transplants, well…that’s another story. Where am I going with this you may be asking yourself, is this: In the event it was no longer safe to stay where you are, and you had to get out NOW! Or even before NOW, do you have a plan? Say you live in Seal Beach, and the shtf and you need to get you and yours to as safe spot you have picked out for yourselves. Let’s say you are a little demented and picked Blythe. Now the freeways are getting jammed, bangers are crawling’ out from their rocks, cell phones are dead and so on. Can you get from point A to B and not be trapped? That is the question. First it will depend on what type of vehicle you have. A good sturdy truck, Jeep or SUV would be a good thing to have. Plus having the ability to carry enough fuel water and supplies to get you where you’re going is a big plus. I can get around 350 miles on my Jeep Comanche so I set it up to carry another 25 gallons. That way I have plenty of reserve for detours and what-not. A winch for down trees and to get you out of a ditch, a digging bar for moving boulders, chain saw with extra fuel and chain, in case is too big to drag out of the way. Ran across that scenario out in the Sierras where a large tree blocked our trail and we had to cut the center section out of it, and then pry it off the trail with the bars. I’m not going to go into a lot of details as to what to carry and what not to carry, there are plenty of other blogs that into that topic in greater depth than I care to here. I’ll try to post some of my favorites in the next few days. Now for the roads. I suggest Microsoft’s Streets and Trips for your laptop, AAA for hard copy maps, stop at the local Chamber of Commerce offices along your route for local maps, Forest Service offices and….you get the idea. You are going to need a variety of maps so you can figure out alternative routes in case of fire flood earthquake damage or just too many people with the same idea as you! Also it is a good idea to drive your intended route a few times, different ways so you get yourself familiar with the terrain. Me, I plan to bug out west if I have to. Wait a minute! Aren’t you on the coast? You ask. Yep, that I am and my bug out vehicle is a 45’ catamaran, fully equipped with food fuel solar wind water maker full electronics include SSB, radar chart plotter and hard copy charts. Right now she has had to have her water line raised by 3” due to load that’s placed on her. All we need to do I grab our BoB’s and drop the lines and head out! I’ve been running the coast of California to Panama for over 20 years as a private captain so for me, I am very comfortable on the ocean. Some I’ve talked to have expressed a similar idea but it takes time money and knowledge to get a boat ready to disappear on the high seas. Where you would go, many have asked. Depending on the reason for bailing out, would dictate the destination. If total government control happened, marshal law for example, I will aim for the South Pacific. I will no regrets in just leaving everything behind as all the important items are on board. If the idea of a boat as a bug out vehicle and you have limited experience on the ocean, get it now! If you have a boat, join the local yacht club, crew on the wet Wednesday races, help out around the docks, ask questions and listen a lot. Take classes from navigation to seamanship and first aid. Read everything you can get your hands on. At the end of this I’ll post a few blogs on some world cruisers and will also help.
That’s all for now as my brain is maxed out!
Loco Gato
Be safe, Be free!

BTW, I suck at proofreading!

Here a list of cruisers

http://www.bestboating.org/boatsail.htm This site has tons of info especiallt the Cruisers Log.

http://www.blogcatalog.com/blogs/sv-zen-family-cruising-catamaran.html

Cat family

http://www.hackingfamily.com/

Very good blog

http://www.sailblogs.com/member/leucat/
another cat for Cal

http://www.theslapdash.com/index.html

a young Canadian couple. This site will have you laughing most of the time!

1 comments:
gravatar
MT_serval said...
July 27, 2009 at 9:16 PM  

Hi from Montana (from a former Californian). I'd like to suggest that people carry a DeLorme atlas for their state and the adjacent states in addition to the road maps and the GPS you advise.

A DeLormes shows the secondary and tertiary roads in addition to the tracks/trails that might make the difference between a successful trip and some column inches in the obituary column.

Traveling here in Montana, where there are few "main roads" a DeLormes gives us flexibility in route finding far beyond what a AAA map will give. Plus it shows water sources and topo contours if it is necessary to switch from Mr. Car to Ms. Boot Leather to continue the bugout/trip.

Best of luck in the Golden State from the Big Sky State.

Post a Comment


Get Free Templates Here
Template Modifications By Tom: American Preppers Network